Re: [Amps] Heat Measurement in Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Heat Measurement in Amps
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:39:35 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:07:37 -0700, Patrick Barthelow
<apolloeme@live.com> wrote:

>Has anyone found a decent cheap temperature sensor/guage  (perhaps even at
>harbor freight, etc) that you could place at a specified location in the
>exhaust airstream of the tubes, of various amps to see and record what is
>"normal" temp ranges?  Maybe the brain trust here, could search out a
>standard, cheap temp measurement sensor  (some DVMs have them) and do some
>testing and publishing of expected exhaust air temps of various amps in
>various modes, like Low duty cycle (SSB), medium (CW) or high (RTTY)

REPLY:

For low cost, it would be hard to beat a cook's meat thermometer,
available at any grocery store. I have one sitting on top of my amp as
I speak. It has a long probe, so I simply drilled a hole through a
small piece of wood and poked the probe through, leaving it sticking
out about two inches. In normal RTTY operation it rarely reads over
about 150 degrees F. Being non-electronic, they are immune to RF.
Works great.

A related idea, which I never got around to implementing, is to
install a small thermal switch connected to an alarm of some kind.
These are cheap and available in a wide range of temperatures. Also
non-electronic. Pretty sure Mc-Master Carr carries them.

73, Bill W6WRT