Re: [Amps] Cleaning tubes

To: "Colin Lamb" <k7fm@teleport.com>, <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cleaning tubes
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0400
Breathing on them may work. Another old favorite is rubbing on your hair. A
strong light helps in both cases.

A nice thing about the HRO-50 is that there arent many hard choices. The
6V6's are easy as they will look similar and likely be glass and the 5V4 is
glass and bigger than others. The 6K7's have grid caps and the two metal
6H6's are little shorties He should be able to tell the difference between
the two miniature glass 6BA6's and 6BE6, the 6BA6 is usually covered inside
by a gray coating and the 6BE^ you can see right into. The 6C4 is a small
glass tube that has very little inside. The VR tube is a rather unique
looking tall 7 pin miniature and the 6J7 will look like the 6K7's. The 6SN7
is glass and the outline from the 2 filaments should be visible from the
top. The 6SJ7 should be metal and taller than the 6H6.

So the only confusion should be the 6J7. No harm will be done by plugging in
any wrong tube and all that will happen with a 6J7 in a 6K7 socket is
distortion on strong signals...just swap then.

Get back to me if he needs help

Carl
KM1H
HRO-50 owner