Re: [Amps] New High Efficiency 3-500Z plate caps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New High Efficiency 3-500Z plate caps
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:23:26 -0400

On 7/1/2010 3:43 PM, John E. Cleeve wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>

> I cannot get to my stock of Eimac 3-500 glass chimneys at present, but I
> recall, the Eimac drawing of the 3-500 glass chimney shows that the top edge
> of the chimney is formed into a pronounced inward lip of about a quarter of
> an inch, or more,
IIRC the ones that were in my 2K4 were notably more.
>   in width, which directs the emerging air flow coming up
> the chimney from around the side of the tube, over and across the top of the
> 3-500 and directed so as to cool the glass/metal seal of the anode cap
> connection. The "finned" top cap was, or still is, the one shown in most
> published designs for 3-500 amplifiers....73,
It may be, but it's in an area of null horizontal flow and the directed
air is coming in from all sides where it is deflected upwards.
Also the heat conducted to the Aluminum is limited by the material and
size of the plate conductor that exits through the glass.

As some one has already mentioned, the sole purpose of the Aluminum
radiator is to help keep the seal temperature down.

73

Roger (K8RI)