Re: [Amps] Dummy load, tuner, antennas, amps, coax length...

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dummy load, tuner, antennas, amps, coax length...
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:24:42 +0000
Roger wrote:

> I tune up the amp or match the exciter to an antenna,
> I have a coax switch between the exciter and amp on relatively short
> sections of RG8-X.  The allows me to switch between the exciter and the
> antenna analyzer. Between the amp and tuner is a minimum length of
> LMR400UF as well as between the AUX connector and DL5K.   So the thought
> is I can tune the antenna with the Palstar AT5K, then switch and tune
> the amp into the DL5K dummy load by going to the aux position which is a
> straight through to the dummy load.

   I have thought about this, but I would put the switch and antenna analyzer
between the amplifier
and the high power antenna tuner, keeping it's input impedance R75-J0.  (I use
dipoles with RG-11/U)
The switch could be several relays that puts the antenna analyzer into the high
power antenna tuner
and the amplifier into the station test load.  (and isolate them) (not using
any internal load)

>  Of course there are lead lengths

   Tuning coax lengths is a never ending trip.

   Generally I go up or down 500 or 1,000 Hz and tune and go back and operate,
but I don't use an
amplifier and the FT-990 has in internal tuner, so it's just four button pushes.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - The next election, I know what is going to happen, I'm going
to help.