Re: [Amps] Replacing bias string diodes in Harbach rectifier board

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing bias string diodes in Harbach rectifier board
From: "Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:01:52 -0000
Carl, the rectifier diodes that fused short were 2.5A (251Ds).

I have more questions:

(1) One of the other destroyed components in the bias path was a small SPST
relay that I used to bypass the 50Kohm cutoff self-bias resistor during
transmit and QSK keying. Since it was in SSB Tx mode when the arc occurred,
the contacts were closed, and they fused. I'm replacing this relay (which
was kinda noisy anyway) with a reed relay that will be silent as well as
even faster (< 2 ms). But I'd like to protect it from the same fate. I'm
thinking that if I want to protect the relay contacts, I will need a fuse in
the grid bias line. I'm thinking a 500 mA fast-blow fuse. Any reason this is
a bad idea? Or unnecessary?

(2) In looking more closely at the converted 6m SB-220's RF output area and
comparing this with the original HF schematic, I see that there used to be a
pi-network filter in the B+ line consisting of an 8.5 µH choke flanked on
either side by 1000 pF 6KV bypass capacitors, one stud-mounted doorknob type
(closer to the tubes) and one radial-lead disc type (closer to the power
supply). The original choke was apparently removed during the 6-meter
conversion and replaced with a piece of wire; the capacitors are still
there. I doubt the wire (4") has enough inductive reactance at 50 MHz to
look like anything but a wire, so the two 1000 pF bypass caps are basically
just paralleled and become 2000 pF of B+ bypass capacitance. Between these
two capacitors, where the 4" wire now is, looks like an ideal spot to put
the glitch resistor, which will be four paralleled 82-ohm 10W Ohmite
vitreous enameled wire-wound resistors. I can also put the glitch resistor
between the rectifier PCB and the first bypass cap, which would get it a
little further away from the RF components. Would one position be better
than the other? Replacing the 4" wire with the resistors would be the most
convenient, as well as being better for getting them in the cooling air
flow.

(3) Regarding the tubes (3-500ZGs) -- I pulled them and tested them for
shorts using just a digital multimeter, and infinite resistance is shown
between cathode-grid and grid-anode. Is this a good indication that the
tubes escaped damage, or is this unpowered test relatively meaningless?

Bill W5WVO
New Mexico