[Amps] 50 watt stud mount zener diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 50 watt stud mount zener diodes
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:36:02 -0700
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:00:35 -0700
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50 watt stud mount zener diodes

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:45:42 -0400, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>Just another reason for 1N5408 or 6A10 strings. A tube arc will take out a
>50W zener as fast as a 10W version.

REPLY:

6A10s are a good choice, but for a high bias tube like a GS-35b you
need a lot of them - about 40. (24 VDC x .6 V per diode).

You may get tired of soldering.

73, Bill W6WRT

##  I use 6A10 diodes for bias.. on both 3x3 and 3x6 tubes.  I tested the
perf  boards in a test jig with a variable supply + series resistor. With 200
ma  of current flowing
[typ ZSAC].. they appear to be aprx .71 vdc  across each diode.   With 2-3 Amps
flowing, the V drop rises  by 12%.  [.79vdc].

## I install a  5000-10,000 or bigger.. lytic across the entire string of
diodes. This
improves the dynamic bias  regulation.  On GS35B's  and YC-156's, 3x3 etc... a
20 x pos rotary switch is used
to tap off every 2nd or  3rd diode..starting with  diode #10-25.   Call that
the  coarse adj.
For ultra fine adj... a small spst  toggle is used across diode  #1.   Sure,
20-60 x diodes  for bias is a lot...it's a good
project for ur kids..or if you want to do something  simple one eve.... on a
par with punching holes in doughnuts. It also
won't blow up this century.  You can suck 2-3 A  CCS  through a  6A10 all day
and not blow it up either.

## You can also use a 3agc type fuse in series with the  bias diodes [ with a
paralleled  pair of 100 K - 3 watt mof
resistors ACROSS the FAST 3agc fuse.]    This is a cathode fuse..and has the
grid + plate current flowing through it.
Suck too much cathode current, fuse opens up, and now you have 50 k in series
with the CT/bias diodes asap.

## On all the HB amps.. I use a  small SPST  VAC  relay.... or  just the COM
and  NC  contacts of a SPDT  VAC relay
to short out the  50 k  resistor used for  the RX cut off bias.   [Cut off bias
resistor also consist of a paralleled  pair
of 100K-3 watt mof resistors] .   I use a  SPDT vac relay on the RF input to
the amp... and a  3rd spdt vac relay  for the
RF output..... and speed all 3 of em up.   That, and use a 50 ohm glitch R  /
cathode fuse / B+ fuse / 6A10 bias diodes
.. and you will never blow up any bias diodes, power supply diodes [also
6A10's]  nor weld the contacts of the
RX cut off relay.    I can repeatedly  crowbar any of the 2-8 kv B+ supplies...
and all that happens is the  B+ fuse blows open.

##  On my buddies  single GS35B 6M amp, he used W4ZT's bias board.  Something
went wrong, with sparks,and a huge
arc across the OUTSIDE of the vac relay  used for the  cut off bias.   Relay
survived just fine.  [ Gigavac GH-1]

##  amp rebuilt... but using a pair of GS35B's  on 6m.   This time  2  of  the
w4zt bias boards used.  Separate, switchable
metering also used.   Then adjustable bias to each tube is used.   3 x GH1  vac
relay's used..all sped up.  Input, output,bias.
 Flat swr on bypass on 6m.

later... Jim   VE7RF