Re: [Amps] SHV connectors great, but where to find coax?

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SHV connectors great, but where to find coax?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:45:02 +0100
On 09/13/10 07:18 AM, Roger wrote:

> What we do have to remember though is we may not always be around.  Some
> one other than us may end up moving things.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Exactly.

I assume none of the people proposing using PL-259 plugs for HV are chartered
engineers. The Engineering Council in the UK would I expect strip someone of
their CEng status if an individual proposed such silly things. Even if you do
this at home, you are putting the lives of others at risk.

  * Children might accidentally get into the shack and unplug a cable.

  * You might have an accident, an ambulance called, and they need to remove a
cable. I expect they would switch things off before touching electrical
equipment, but would not reasonably expect a cable to be alive when powered
off,
which will happen in this case due to the time for the HV capacitors to
discharge.

There are a number of "unlikely" but probably fatal circumstances in which this
would be an issue.

Dave