Re: [Amps] AL1200, high input swr, all bands

To: knormoyle@surfnetusa.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1200, high input swr, all bands
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:28:30 EDT
Kevin, when you say no plate current, do you mean there is no idling plate
current when the amplifier is keyed on?

Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/18/2010 2:21:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
knormoyle@surfnetusa.com writes:

some  more info

-swapped amp out with al-80b during
contest..everything  fine, so cabling etc not an
issue. Tests are into dummy load.

-756  pro II drives the amp. With the rig's auto-tuner
off, swr is infinite. But  oddly, the auto-tuner can
get to 1:1 swr. Doesn't help though..no grid or  plate
current.

-In standby mode, everything is fine. SWR 1:1  with
autotuner off.

-relays click on transmit and transmit led comes  on.

-no visible cooked wires or broken solder joints.

-read something where someone had a similar problem:
3:1 swr on all  bands, no rf output. Turns out the
tube was bad.
How common is this? The  manufacturing date for the
amp I believe is 2002. It has the newer relays  that
appeared around then.

Is the high input swr a common symptom  with a bad tube?

I understand the issues with rtty duty cycles  and
thought I was monitoring things well enough.
(actually what's funny  is back in 2006 I started a
long thread discussing RTTY and AL-1200  and
temperature monitoring..you'll get a chuckle from a
"AL1200" search  here, seeing me thinking about the
issue, and now 4 years later I have a  dead
amp..someone could say "told you so" :) ...need to  fix..

-Kevin
AD6Z