[Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 02:26:39 -0800
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:39:40 -0800
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@inbox.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] our amplifier in 2010 CQWW

So they are going to be disqualified then?   I hope so.

73
Jim W7RY

###  For what ?    Maybe they had  2.2 db of feed-line loss?

 The CQ WorldWide rules state that no station may use more than 1500 watts
> output - even if the limit for a country is greater than 1500 watts -  as
> noted below:
>
> Total output power per band must
> not exceed 1500 watts or the output power
> regulations of the country in which the
> entrant is operating, whichever is less.

##  OK, I'm only allowed 750w on CW... so I just got screwed out of
3db...thanks.
I'm allowed  2250 w pep..[ measured at the feedpoint] on ssb.... but alas, that
is of no
benefit....esp if the 1.5 kw rule is measured at the back of the amp.  I just
lost another 3db.

> 73,
> Tim K3LR

###  When did these power rules  come out ?   Where is the 1.5 kw measured at...
the back of amp....or the feed-point ?   If it's at the back of the amp..then
the rules are clearly
slanted in favour of those folks with  stacked arrays  and big diam coax.  1.5
kw into a stacked array is.."ok"
but  2.5 kw into a dipole is a  'no-no' ....  gimme a break.  If the idea is to
put folks on a common footing, then
why not use  ERP instead?    And before W7RY dishes out yet another stinging
lecture about 'ethics' ..and 'morals' ,
try comparing  1.5 kw ERP  vs  150 kw ERP  [20 db  from the stacked array vs
dipole] ..and tell us what's  ethical about that ?
Fact is you have no way of ever enforcing pwr rules  in a million years.  And I
don't think the little guy with his YC-156 and  203BA
@ 45' is about to have a guilt complex, and require counseling, any time
soon....nor the same guy with his 40m sloper.

later... Jim   VE7RF