[Amps] brass or BNP hardware

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] brass or BNP hardware
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:36:22 -0700
In RF power amplifiers, HF to VHF range, I have used brass or nonmagnetic
stainless steel hardware for years, after having been "Burned" by steel screws
- pun intended. Several times in my career
I have seen bolts turned black and tarnished from RF heating this way. If RF
current can flow in the steel, then it can make eddy currrent losses and heat
up. However, if it is not carrying current, not a problem.
The reason I try to stick with brass or SS is that later on, someone is working
on the product, cannot remember why this special screw is only in this hole and
that. So by making it all one type, when inside the RF compartment, you
make service, repair and spare parts inventory simpler. These simple policies
are carried on in my mind when starting new amplifiers.
73
John
K5PRO