Re: [Amps] LK550 neg grid ... and bandswitch woes

To: "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK550 neg grid ... and bandswitch woes
From: "Gary Hinson" <Gary@isect.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:58:22 +1300
> You might want to consider how the plate choke got fried in
> the first place.

Thanks Dick.

While thankfully I haven't had to duck any flying crockery lately :-) I
suspect I might have fried the anode choke by running the amp on 30m (using
the 20m position since it has no WARC coverage).  It runs very inefficiently
on 30m, needing about 50W of drive to squeeze 200-300 watts out whereas on
most bands I get 500W out with about 25W in.  [And before anyone asks, yes,
we're allowed 500W PEP on all HF bands including 30m here in ZL.]  I think
it was running on 30m when I had the first -ve grid incident.

That said, I read the recent advice on here about HV glitch resistors with
interest and it seems like a good idea to install one while I have the lid
off.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB