Re: [Amps] Fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fuses
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 09:17:47 +0000
On 8 January 2011 02:00, Roger (K8RI) <sub1@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> On 1/7/2011 7:02 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

>> Just dont over fuse. The usual 1200W out amp uses 10-12A; 15A for
>> 1500-2200W, etc at 240VAC.
> I thought that was how we were supposed to find the fault.  Increase the
> fuse size step by step until the problem either blows up of catches
> fire.

Years ago when I was a school I part time (Saturday and some evenings)
job working in Tandy (Radio Shack).

Tandy used to see fuses in packs of 3. This guy came in and bought a
pack of fuses. Then a few days later and he came back and bought
another pack of the same fuses. This went on for some time, so I guess
I had sold him around 15 fuses. Then I asked him what he was doing
with all these fuses. To which he replied that he was putting them in
his amplifier, but they kept blowing, so that is why he needed some
more!!

I've always been puzzled why if I buy a standard mains plug in the UK
(rated 13 A), they come with a 13 A fuse. It would seem more sensible
to me that they came with a 3 A fuse, which is adequate for the vast
majority of applications, and if one needs a higher rated fuse, one
buys one.

What I'm sure happens is most cases, is that people just use the fuse
that came with the plug, which is the wrong fuse for most
applications.

Dave