Re: [Amps] Fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fuses
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 08:00:38 -0600
>> Where pray tell do you get a hydraulic breaker?

All the commercial AMs and FMs used silicone-dampened AC overloads.

All the AC current ran through a five or six turn high current relay that was
( at rated current ) almost ready to pull the normally closed contact open.

A surge or over current would open the contact which opened the
holding contactor ahead of the overload.

I took over maintenence of one transmitter that was always randomly
shutting down.   One day while looking for parts in the transmitter
room, I found an unopened bottle of silicone oil, and checked the
overload and it was dry as the day it was shipped.  I filled the
overload with the silicone and the transmitter was more forgiving of
random spikes.  The AC overloads were more to protect the HV
Transformer in case a rectifier stack shorted..

Don W4DNR