Re: [Amps] GI-7bT amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GI-7bT amplifier
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:43:55 -0600
Glen,

At this plate voltage of 1800-2000 volts, you will end up having pretty high
drive requirements and that means a lot more punishment
to the grids - however strong or weak as they may be.

The tubes are most happy in the 2300-2500V range as far as I can tell.  And
with the higher B+ levels, the Ig really drops of
strongly.

The only official documentation on grid limits it the 7W on the "datasheet."
The trouble is trying to translate that 7W requirement
back into an Ig level for any given amp without a set of characterization
curves...  As far as I know, no one has done that.

There is an effect on this tube at Ig levels of about 60-70 ma where the Ig
will "slide back down" when keying.  Some have
speculated that this is a physical distortion in the grid due to the drive
current - I don't know what the actual case is.

However, generally speaking I tried to keep my drive currents under 120-150 mA
for the pair.  I ran RTTY with this amp in quite a
few contests as well as a huge amount of "boiling the dummy load" bench work
and the tubes remained strong.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com