Re: [Amps] Restoring DX-100

To: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Restoring DX-100
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:16:11 -0800 (PST)
I know what the RCA transmitting tube manual and the specification sheets show
for the output.  However, those are outputs which do not take into
consideration things like losses in matching networks, etc.  In the "real
world", at 3.5 MHz you are going to be lucky to see anything more than around
70% efficiency rather than the 77% theoretical efficiency shown in the tube
manual.  Efficiencies between 60% to 65% are much more realistic in the long
run.  However, with brand new tubes you may see efficiencies approaching 70% on
the 80-meter band, but, as the tubes age, the efficiency is going to drop.

Also, as the frequency of operation increases the efficiency decreases.

The 6293, which is basically the same tube as the 6146A/8298 except that it has
a more robust plate construction, is definitely a good choice and those tubes,
generally, last a considerably longer period when run in the same operating
parameters as the 6146.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com