Re: [Amps] AL-811 & 572's

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-811 & 572's
From: "W7MJM" <w7mjm@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:01:33 -0800
Carl,

I didn't see anything on the Ameritron site that would answer my particular
question, but perhaps I didn't dig deeply enough or think it through
thoroughly.

In any case, Colin, W7FM, and Bill, WA4LAV, seem to have explained it to me.
I know the 811A to 572B swap has been discussed quite a bit, but the
question as to why Tom, W8JI, recommends only 3 572B's in the AL-811H (with
the fourth hole empty) had continued to puzzle me.

I assumed one would want to drive the AL-811H, after retubing, to it's full
800 watts, so how could 3 572B's still deliver that output if they can't do
it in the AL-811? The additional current draw of 572B's as compared to
811A's, and the need to reduce the AL-811H output to 600 watts hadn't
occurred to me.

So, as I now understand it, 3 572B's, with plate voltage in the neighborhood
of 1500 volts, will deliver the same 600 watts as 3 811A's. So, assuming the
power supplies are the same in the AL-811 and AL-811H, retubing an AL-811
gives you no increase or reduction in maximum PEP output (600 watts), just
longer tube life, tolerance of overdriving, and tolerance of extended
tuning, while retubing the AL-811H means sacrificing 200 watts of potential
output (reduced to 600 from 800)  in exchange for longer tube life, greater
tolerance of overdriving, and greater tolerance of extended tuning.

Do I have it right? If so, retubing the 600 watt PEP output AL-811 with
572B's makes sense, but retubing the AL-811H with 572B's is not necessarily
beneficial, assuming you want maximum 800 watt PEP output from the
four-holer.

73 and thanks to all who responded,
Martin, W7MJM