Re: [Amps] AL-811 & 572's

To: "The Zwiener" <heart-monger@hotmail.com>, "aMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-811 & 572's
From: "W7MJM" <w7mjm@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:22:24 -0800
Brian,

Yes indeed; it appears to be the same power supply transformer in both the
AL-811 and the AL-811H.

The conclusion I'm coming to is, IF you can run 800 watts PEP output from an
AL-811H using 3 572B's, with the fourth tube socket empty, then you should be
able to run 800 watts PEP output from an AL-811 with a trio of 572B's in its 3
tube sockets.

Of course, there may be other limiting factors in the AL-811, as compared to
the AL-811H, of which I'm not aware.

In any case, I'll continue to run my AL-811 at no more than 600 watts PEP
output, just to be on the safe side. It's not worth pushing the envelope, so to
speak, for that additional decibel!

73,
Martin
W7MJM