Re: [Amps] Tuner Loss

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuner Loss
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:53:07 -0500
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:19 PM

I would expact that sort of comment from you.

It was only meant to show that the coil heat we take for granted in an amp
is rarely a concern and many (even the most expesive) take no special
cooling measures.

Tuner design is strictly cost driven so marginal components are used. An
ideal 160-10M 1500W + tuner using 4500V 500pf variables and an edge wound
rotary inductor would cost a couple of thousand dollars if sold
commercially.

> Reactances such as found in a properly designed tuner should be nearly
> lossless.

Losses in your typical commercial tuner are in the inductor as the low C
used on 80-160 are the problem. This was shown decades ago in ARRL reviews
of available tuners.On 160 in particular it was shown that a "matched"
condition was possible with the inductor absorbing the full power.

> Basic tube and AC theory, Carl. Time to hit the books.

Yes you should Bill, and more than one.

Carl
KM1H