Re: [Amps] SB-200 power supply diodes

To: "'Paul Kraemer'" <elespe@lisco.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-200 power supply diodes
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:37:34 -0400
1N4007 has a peak current rating of 30 amps for one cycle. 10 amp repetitive
peak current and 1 amp average current.

The 1N5408 has a peak current rating of 200 amps for one cycle. 50 amp
repetitive peak current and 3 amp average current.

If you look at Psu designer it shows the following:
I used a 20 ohm transformer at 800 volts in a full wave doubler. 3.3K load
which gives around 600 ma load current.

Since the voltage rating is not high enough for just 2 capacitors it takes 6
capacitors total (3 in each leg). So the Mfd will be 1/3rd in each half of
the doubler.

So with 125 Mfd capacitors (3 in each leg) the capacitance would only be
41.6 on each half. That would make peak turn on current 13.5 amps and peak
repetitive current would be about 5.6 amps

With 330 Mfd capacitors (3 in each leg) the capacitance would be 110 Mfd on
each half. That would make peak turn on current 25 amps and peak repetitive
current 5.8 amps.

Average current is around 600 Ma in all of the above.

With the 330 Mfd caps 1n4007's would still be ok provided the transformer
had 20 ohms of winding resistance. I don't know what the winding resistance
is on the SB200. It may be less than that so peak currents would be higher.

Note that by increasing the capacitors from 125 Mfd each to 330 Mfd each the
peak turn on current about doubles. This is with 20 ohms transformer
resistance.

73
Gary  K4FMX