Re: [Amps] RF choke switching

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF choke switching
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:51:40 -0600
  Vic, Shane, and others,

Changing the circuit to be 2 inductors in series with a capacitor to
ground at the connection point between the inductors changes things but
does not fix the possible low overall circuit impedance from the tube to
ground at some frequency in the range of operation!

A few hours with LTSpice (free) shows this very clearly.  Carl's post
about using either only the large inductor or both inductors from 160m
up through say 20m and then to ONLY use the small inductor for higher
frequencies works and is easy to do.  Also a bypass cap can be switched
in for the higher frequencies which also "eliminates" the large
inductor.  In every case I would measure the impedance of the choke in
the cabinet before applying RF power.  Again anyone building equipment
without modest test equipment is "flying blind".  Some of the
inexpensive RF impedance meters like the AIM4170 and others will teach
you more than you can imagine and ACTUALLY let you see what is going on.

A comment that was made about the large inductor being only +j2500 at
1.8MHz is not really relevant.  The effect of this inductance on the
output network is to cause the tuning capacitor to be increased
slightly.  The tube has no idea this inductance is present.  The bigger
problem is the RF resistance of the plate choke which dissipates power.
This is why attempts to use ferrite cores need to be analyzed carefully
since the ferrite material lowers the Q.  Ferrite works great for RF
suppression where the current is low but for high power plate chokes and
baluns you want the Q to remain high so ferrite material such as #61 or
#64 could possibly be used but not #75, #43, or #31 for this application.

Larry, W0QE