Re: [Amps] AC filament voltage regulator

To: wlfuqu00@uky.edu, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC filament voltage regulator
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:31:10 EDT
I became interested in filament voltage control after learning how
excessive voltage shortens tube life.

Then with the power company incrementally increasing line voltage in most
areas the concern grew.

Some tube manufacturers recommend using the lowest voltage consistent  with
good cathode emission. One note suggested reducing filament voltage until
the emission drops slightly and then increase the voltage about .2 volts.

No mention of observing the voltage or current was made.

What makes sense is to follow that procedure and make note of the resulting
 filament voltage. Then monitor the voltage until something changes, at
which  time another calibrate cycle can be done.

The question in my mind is how to measure cathode emission. Can this be
done observing plate current? Drive on? Drive off? Pulse the bias circuit to
simulate peak current under full drive? Peak current is normally about 3X
average cathode current. Does emission effect peak the same as average
cathode  current?

Perhaps power output is a better indicator of cathode emission?

So many questions; hopefully there are some answers!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/14/2011 10:18:48 A.M. Central Daylight Time,