Re: [Amps] 374A will not turn on ??? Suggestions?

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 374A will not turn on ??? Suggestions?
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:45:39 -0400
chas  k5dam wrote:

> Lou
> what causes the resistor(s) to go bad?  is it the surging like turning on and
> off an incandescent light bulb?  iow, how often is this going to be a
> replaceable component? replace annually if used daily or twice daily?

   I'm not Lou, but only vacuums, (because of the enclosures) filaments (in
vacuums) and chemicals
in parts (mostly electrolytic capacitors now-a-days) have a life expectancies.
   (are expected to fail within a known time range, which depends mostly on
quality, excluding
outside influences)

   Everything else fails because of:
Abuse, thermal or physical
built in problems, voids, stress or impurities
environmental condition, such as water intrusion or weather  (not being
protected from)
and possibly because of any organic component becoming altered by age and other
effects
like the phenolic surrounding carbon composition resistors and also used in
some "pots."

   Parts made from some materials tend to outlast (tolerate more abuse without
changing) parts made
from other materials:
Ceramic outlasts phenolic
Wire wound resistors outlast carbon (but is more suitable for low  Ohmage
resistors)
Metal film resistors outlast carbon (but is more suitable for high Ohmage
resistors)
   And both of these generally last longer and can withstand more abuse if they
are sealed inside of
a ceramic coating.
--
    Ron  KA4INM -    Ron  KA4INM - Did you know ...
                     ... that no-one ever reads these things?