Re: [Amps] 3cx800a7 Grid Current Problem

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3cx800a7 Grid Current Problem
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:14:22 +0000
On 26/01/2012 02:40, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> About a month ago, JE1BMJ reported a similar problem with his SB1000. In
> his case, the problem was found to be inadequate bypassing of the plate rf
> choke. Apparently enough rf was reaching the bypass capacitor to heat it up
> and  cause it to change value and that was enough to detune the plate circuit.
>
> 73,
> Gerald K5GW

This appears to be not uncommon across several amp designs - even the
venerable TL-922 shows lower output on 160m than it does on 80m/40m and
no doubt if the input power is there then the output is going
somewhere... okay in the case of the '922 it might not be causing
de-tuning and grid current but I bet soemthing's getting warm ;-)

Mikie G8TIC