Re: [Amps] 4CX1000A

To: Val <val@vip.bg>, "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1000A
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:13:14 -0500
  This has brought up an intersting question.
What is the dissipation of a screen grid if it is producing reverse current.
Secondary emission does not produce dissipation, the power dissipation is due
to the kinetic
engergy of the electrons that are striking it. Lets say the measured current is
-10ma. That means that the secondary current exceeds the
primary current ( dissipative current)  by 10 ma.  But what is the actual
dissipative current?
That depends on the ratio of primary current and the current due to the
secondaries that have not
been recaptured by the screen grid.
  An interesting problem. It is not only a matter of how many secondary
electrons are produced by
each electron that strikes the screen grid because the all produce secondaries
if they have more than
50 or so electron volts of kinetic energy. It is just that most are secondaries
are recaptured and
don't affect the net current flow.
  By producing an "electron shadow" that the screen grids usually set in a
condition is set up where
it is possible to produce many secondaries that are not recaptured. In other
tubes many electrons
strike directly on the screen grid. I suspect under some condiition the
electron optics change such
that the "shadows" collapse some what and you get glancing or side collisions
that produce some
secondaries that have enough kinetic energy in the direction of the plate to be
captured by the
plate's electric field.
  But, these secondaries themselves do not produce any dissipative power on the
screen grid.
Secondaries have very low kinetic energy compared to those coming from the
cathode.
73
Bill wa4lav
 Please pardon the rambling, I am very tired tonight but it is an ineresting
discussion.