Re: [Amps] 432 Cavity Amps; Thomson TH 331

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 432 Cavity Amps; Thomson TH 331
From: Mike Andrews <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 06:46:30 -0600
On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:02:23PM -0700, John Lyles wrote:
> That sounds like it would be a potent amplifier. What was the looking
> glass program?
> Or would you have to shoot me after telling?

"Looking Glass" is an airborne SAC-operated command post to mirror (hence
"Looking Glass") the ground-based SAC command post at Offut AFB. Current
Looking Glass aircraft are Navy E-6B TACAMO ("TAke Command And Move Out")
birds based at Tinker AFB, about 10 miles from me. I see them every day,
and the Lowfer mailing list frequently has reports of TACAMO transmissions
in the 15-30 KHz range.

The TACAMO transmitter is an enormously powerful beast, up in the power
range of your new TH-628 amp, driving a trailing long-wire.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx