Re: [Amps] 432 Cavity Amps; Thomson TH 331

To: <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 432 Cavity Amps; Thomson TH 331
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:10:14 -0500
Looking Glass was a Boeing EC-135 (modified C-135)developed as a wartime
command post last resort if all ground based command centers were destroyed.

It mirrored the ground station capability including generating ICBM launch
commands.The capability also included air to air links with others in the
fleet.

Many versions were flown for 37 years 24/7 without an accident.
The program was then transferred to the Navy in 1998 using modified 707's as
the E-6B and is still operational.

There are also 4 USAF E-4B's, converted 747's, which serve as onboard
command posts for the politicians.

The amps I have were for multi MHz broadband data, video and voice thus the
low distortion linear mode. At full bore 140cfm of air at 1.9" water are the
minimum requirement. Not something to be in the same room with.

Filament is a modest 5.7V at 24A and the HV can run up to 7500V for
"typical" operation. In GG for 2000W at 420 its 5500V at 450ma, and 7500V at
650ma for 4000W. Drive is 90 and 150W respectively.

Carl
KM1H