[Amps] Transfer Lettering

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Transfer Lettering
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:35:56 +1100
I have been using rub on transfer lettreing for 35 years on all my home
brew amplifiers, transmitters and accessory projects...There is a
technique involved to really do a professional job but with practice one
can turn out a good finish..

I pre paint my panels with the finishing coat first and bake it dry so
that I have an unscratchable surface...To apply the lettering properly I
use a strip of painters masking tape as a straight edge so that the
lettering is nice and even...Transfer sheets have guide lines each end
that you use to keep this straight edge..Spacing the letters evenly
takes a bit of practice but is not difficult....When you want the
function lettered over a switch hole etc mark the center on the masking
tape and start the word in the center, ie SWITCH,  the I goes in the
center then you can add the rest of the word either side..

On dark panels, Grey etc, I spray with a clear enamel coat to seal the
lettering....On light panels, ie, Blue white etc I do find clear enamel
seems to always leave a slight discoloration and I prefer to leave them
original....The lettering doesn't rub off easily but can be re done if
needed...

73..Bob..VK3ZL..