[Amps] Reply to Marty

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Reply to Marty
From: "Bob" <bobt@iafrica.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:47:54 +0200
Hi Marty I get my emails bounced from your Email address so...here is the
reply I tried to get to you on swinging chokes.

Hi Marty glad you liked my first reply.
Swinging chokes are normally rated on a 5 or X10 ratio of current, with the
normal full load current being at the minimum inductance value or somewhere
in between. I.E. a choke rated for 1 amp with a value of inductance of(say)
0.1H at 1 amp, and a value of 1H at 0.1 amps. It all depends on the design
of the choke and what duty it will be required for. The higher the value of
inductance the lower the value of critical current the that the L C filter
will have. This value of current is the value at which the DC  output
voltage will drop from peak to average voltage. This value of current is
what you need to have as a bias current (either by bias resistor or tube
standing current). If you have this then you have a very stable DC voltage
to feed the tubes. This is very desirable but does lead to having a boat
anchor  of an amp. Thus a swinging choke will allow the best of both worlds.
Lighter weight but good regulation.
Regards Bob

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is
believed to be clean.