Re: [Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Guidelines.....toroids for tank ckts
From: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:17:33 -0500
'T'was asked,

"I'm looking at alternatives to rebuild a tank circuit in a 1.5kw HF amp.
I'm interested in using toroids rather than air-core coils and with that, a
different (non-tapped, separate coil for each band) switching scheme. I've
seen (2" T-200 series) toroid cores used in 80/160 sections of Alpha 76
series and have heard they're used elsewhere, but I don't know what I should
consider in a homebrew application, other than dielectric tape to prevent
arcing through the core. Does anyone have any references or other info I
could look up?"

Tks,

73 Dave WB0GAZ

Hi Dave,

I use a 4" by 1 1/4" T-400 powered iron core as L-1 in my 160-meter
Pi-L tank along with a stacked pair of  two T-200 as L-2. Runs cool at 1500
watts CW all day. I use the HV glass tape recommended by Amidon and others
to wrap the cores with.

73,    Roy           K6XK        Iowa