Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 21:19:18 -0600
I have been following this thread with great interest.  I have built two
SS linear amplifiers, one at a kilowatt and one at 600 watts.  Neither
of these amplifiers are my designs.  Both were designed by Helge
Granberg and promoted by Communications Concepts.  The kw amp uses a
pair of MRF154 FETs and the 600 amp uses four MRF150 FETs.  These
transistors are relatively expensive so I was reluctant to branch out
with my own design attempts.  My design contributions have been in the
power supplies and the control and protection circuits.  They can be
seen in detail at http://www.tomthompson.com  .  Recently, however,
Freescale has released several LDMOS transistors that work well in the
HF range.  The 300 watt part is $75 from Mouser.  These transistors come
in a package of two which is ideal for a push pull amp.  They are also
very rugged and thus ideal for amateur experimentation.  I have, also,
recently completed a 100 watt class E amplifier drain modulated by a
Class D pulse width modulator for 160 meter AM.  The Class E amp runs
93% efficient and the class D modulator runs 90% efficient.  Both the
amplifier and the modulator use MOSFETs that cost about $2.  With these
kinds of efficiencies, the power supply is easier, too.  I would
encourage some of you to experiment along these lines.  The price and
ease of SS experimentation is within the reach of many of you.

73,   Tom Thompson   W0IVJ