Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 16:01:34 -0600
Manfred, thank you for your sage advice and comments. Sounds like a fun
project. I am stuck working with large tube amplifiers,
a career path that has somehow fallen my way, so I don't get to play with sand
much these days. LDMOS at 50 volts has come a
long way to being "virtually" a replacement for a glass tube (3-500Z size for
example).

There are now, being designed, tested and installed, 180 kW amplifiers at 352
MHz in Europe for particle accelerators. 350 kW isn't
far away. 600 kW is in the planning stages for one project. They are NOT cheap
and NOT compact, as one might imagine.
I can provide 3 MW peak or 450 kW average (CW) power from a single tube cavity
amplifier at 200 MHz, in a fairly compact arrangement.
73
John
K5PRO