Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 18:20:20 -0400
> Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 02:34:46 +0000
> From: Manfred Mornhinweg<manfred@ludens.cl>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
>

> - Hams are obviously willing to pay 5000 bucks for an amp, so why
> destroy the market by making amps that sell for 700 bucks? The
> intermediate option, making amps that are cheap to make, and then sell
> them at 4000 bucks, probably won't live long with hams. They want to see
> where the cost is.

There's usually more money in high volume, lower price and these new
devices look like they lend themselves well to less protection, lower
price, fast build . Of course that'd mean more legal limit amps on line
and with solid state I'm all for reducing cost, but doubling the number
of legal limit stations might be a bit much.OTOH true legal limit
stations rather than many trying to get the legal limit out of 4 811s or
a pair of 572s. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)