Re: [Amps] Oscilloscope Purchase

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oscilloscope Purchase
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:53:59 -0400
  Carl KM1H wrote:

> Anything Tek from the older 465/475 to newer model analog scopes and into
> digital.
>
> High end analog scopes are now bargains as they are being dumped. $50-100
> can buy quite a lot. Just make sure it is functioning to spec before
> purchasing; also check for a calibration sticker.
>
> The higher the frequency the more expensive the probes altho our Chinese
> "friends" are producing some very good ones.

  All scopes of all brands with sufficient bandwidth (HF response) will work,
but almost everything
other than HP, Tek, R&S exhibit excessive vertical amplifier DC drift (the
trace moves up and down
as it warms up and throughout the day) which will eventually drive you nutz.
The Tektronix units were extremely popular and are not rare in any way.  Most
of these older units
would be repaired with a parts donor.

--
   Ron Youvan - rmyouvan@gmail.com