[Amps] 3CX1500A&/8877

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3CX1500A&/8877
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:40:55 +1000
Interesting comments re the two types of tubes 8877/GS-35B...I have
built six amplifiers using the GS-35B four on 160 meters and two on 6
meters...I have found that to make the 35B reasonably efficient you need
at least 3500volts under load...

I live in VK and we don't have the opportunities to buy 8877
pulls...When one considers cost then the GS-35B is way ahead at
$120..The efficiency at 3500 volts is around 55%....You must use a tuned
input to get the best from the tube..Who cares if you need a few more
watts to drive the 35B....Pretty well all transceivers these days have 1
or 200 watts output..

There always seems to be a bias on here by some people regarding
anything that isn't made in the US...Hams are generally looking for the
cheapest way to build amplifiers and other gear and there is a ready
market out there of excellent quality components made in other countries
other than the US...

I spend much of my time custom building amplifiers for VK hams and a
large majority of the components come from suppliers like Dr Alex Gavva
UR4LL...I have never had a faulty tube or capacitor from that source...

Bob..VK3ZL..