Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:26:13 +0930
Good comments here Bob; you've nailed some relevant points here.

The GS35B does indeed need a higher plate voltage / plate load impedance to
achieve parity in efficiency with the 8877; complaining about achieving
circa "only" 55% efficiency and a few extra watts of exciter drive is
splitting hairs; particularly in a GG AB2 SSB linear.

At circa $120 the NOS GS-35B represents the best bang for buck in the 1500W
plate dissipation triode tube class; costing a meagre 10% of that of a new
8877 from CPI/Eimac, or 15% of the cost of an excellent Chinese clone.

Most affordable key RF components for building QRO amps like tubes, vacuum
capacitors, vacuum relays, doorknob capacitors, roller inductors, etc are
all made by non-USA countries. If it weren't for the China tube companies
producing affordable clones of the popular ham-radio tubes and Russian NOS
surplus parts, then readily available tube amplifier components would be a
thing of the past...or the exclusive domain of the wealthy ham.

Cheers,

Leigh
VK5KLT