Re: [Amps] Dedicated RF

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dedicated RF
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:32:43 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:51:16 -0700 (PDT), KF6VB wrote:

>   My take on HF - it's unreliable.  That's what makes it so much fun for
>hams.  You never know what you'll get.   Maybe a few scratchy signals
>from the next state, maybe a guy from South Africa booming in over long
>path.  It's like going fishing.

REPLY:
Well, HF is not 100% reliable on all frequencies, all the time, but if I want to
talk from California to Idaho I can do it on 40 meters almost anytime, day or
night with very modest power and with ZERO INFRASTRUCTURE. Let me choose which
band and it becomes nearly 100% reliable, again with very modest power.

Try that on VHF.   :-)

If you "never know what you'll get" it's because you don't have a lot of HF
experience. HF is very - but not quite 100% - predictable.

73, Bill W6WRT