Re: [Amps] another "new" amp coming?

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] another "new" amp coming?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 09:39:42 -0400
Anyone who has been around amps more than a few hours can tell it is no more
than a QRO-2500 with an 8877.
The whole QRO line is copied from the old Command Technologies since its
founder was one of their founders. Palstar got in the act for awhile by
buying and tweaking the Command 2500 and Magnum 2500+ before they figured
they werent good at the amp business.

I see they still use those ridiculous fuse type meter lights instead of
LED's which last a lot longer.

I see nothing wrong with there being no Wattmeter since its redundant for
tuning.....use Grid Current so you dont blow the tube and buy a real power
meter that can also tell you when your antenna is junk before you continue
trying to blow up the amp.

Those rocker switches are fine and reliable and wider than the old Dentrons
which are failing regularly these days.

The question remains is that an Eimac or Chinese 8877 and socket assembly?
If the latter they are just as good and means the price should be quite a
bit lower.

The variable caps are OEP's and they are the low end variety with marginal
rotor wiper current capacity thats been around since the SB-200/220.
Upgrading to the next level would add all of about $20. Nothing wrong with
the knobs either since they are attached to low drag 6:1 ball drives.
http://www.orenelliottproducts.com/m73m73a.htm

I like all those amps, clean functional layout, servicable at home or by a
competent local tech. No computer garbage.

Carl
KM1H