Re: [Amps] MFJ products

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:15:23 -0700 (PDT)
The main problem with mfj is their quality assurance.  Way too many products
come with missing hardware, extra hardware (probably from the last unit down
the line which is missing hardware), poor soldering, no solder on some joints,
and so on.  After these deficiencies in the unit are taken care of, the mfj
equipment usually works very well, especially for the cost of the item.  If one
purchases an mfj item with the understanding that it is a "semi-kit" (some
final assembly required), then the purchaser should be happy.

Unfortunately, way too many newcomers to amateur radio purchase mfj items who
do not have the experience to troubleshoot and repair the unit.  As such, those
persons are usually unhappy or become disillusioned with amateur radio.

Over the years, I have owned several mfj items.  All but 2 of those came to me
not working because of the aforementioned reasons and the owner didn't want to
bother with fixing it himself / herself and didn't want to have to pay someone
to repair the item.  I have bought exactly 2 mfj units new.  One of those was
one of their relatively inexpensive keyers (it had some bad soldering and a
couple of missing hardware items) and the other was a 24-hour clock.  Now the
clock has worked fine from the start.  However, the clock was built "off shore"
and just the mfj logo was put on it.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com