[Amps] SB-220 reliability and tuning

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 reliability and tuning
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 05:59:43 -0400
This puzzles me. My SB-220 has run for 12 years of CW contesting (in the SSB position), with only minimal problems. 1200 watts out on 80, down to about 1000 on 10. I added the Harbach high-volume fan, as well as a home-brew vacuum relay T/R system, and have a muffin fan above the tube compartment to help by drawing air out. I polished the filament pins and the mating socket clips, after resoldering filament pins a few times.

Power supply components are all original. Tuning is easy on the low bands, and even on the high ones I can get close enough in a quick band change that I don't risk the hardware before I can tune (using CW dits). My secret? An index card stuck to the panel behind the tune and load controls, with lines for each band. No turn counters or verniers required.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000