Re: [Amps] plate voltage meter shunt

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate voltage meter shunt
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 19:22:06 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:15:44 -0700 (PDT), W9IIX wrote:

>I am installing a meter to measure plate voltage 1-5000v@ 1a dc,
>the meter has a 1ma fs rating.  the serial resistance I have
>made up in the past has been 3 watt metal film resistors in
>series. since they can only rated for 200v per resistor it takes
>many to do the job. Can some other resistor type with a
>higher rating be used in a safe manner for this purpose?
>...tnx, Doug,w9iix

REPLY:
Does your power supply have a string of electrolytic capacitor with equalizing
resistors across each one? Install the meter in series with the bottom (negative
end) resistor and shunt it with a potentiometer or fixed resistor for
calibration. A few minutes with Ohm's law will give you the values.

Hint: do the calculations based on the full scale reading of the meter, not the
actual HV reading.

73, Bill W6WRT