Re: [Amps] SB-200 QSK mod info

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-200 QSK mod info
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:00:48 -0400
Vasily,

Nice set of measurements. From what I can see, each relay is switching quite fast with the RF output relay lagging the RF input relay and bias by roughly 0.5 ms. This shouldn't be a problem with any modern transceiver.
From past measurements, transceivers like the Icom 7700/7800, and K3 all
supply RF > 9 ms after amp key line closure. Still, for someone who seeks perfection, it may be a concern in that the event order is misplaced due to electromechanical delays.

You can solve the problem with hardware, but that will add more circuit complexity. One possible solution would make use of CMOS 4538 dual monostable chips that allow you to trigger events on the leading or trailing edge of a pulse. In the past, I've used those in several applications and with a bit of care taken, CMOS can be relatively immune to RF. Of course, you could always create delays in other ways using R/C combinations that drive say...a transistor switch.

Another solution is one I developed a couple months ago. It uses either an Arduino Nano or 16F88 PIC microcontroller to precisely control all switching elements. However, it also adds another layer of protection beyond just proper sequencing: RF is sampled before each switching event to ensure that hot-switching never occurs. As the microcontroller detects a fault condition, the microcontroller inhibits the switching event and then pulses one of two timing error LEDs -- one for leading edge faults, the other for trailing edge faults. So, it can be a valuable timing diagnostic tool in the absence of a scope. Probably the most beneficial attribute of a microcontroller in this application is that timing fixes are changed strictly through USB port uploads. The hardware is fixed; only the code changes. The code also supports 3-stage dynamic EBS "hang" bias, with hang time adjustable between 0 - 255 ms in 1 ms increments.

The C++ code and logic flow chart is posted on my QRZ.com page. Structured logic is used and each line of code is documented to allow for easy modification. The first set of "S-QSK" boards have arrived and I'm now starting to validate the PCB layout. On my QRZ.com page, you will see that the board is incredibly dense for its small size but this allows the board to be installed into most any amp. A Remote RF Sensor is also being tested. This allows an amp builder to place the RF sensor away from the microcontroller board, if desired.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "k3it" <gokoyev+k3it@gmail.com>