Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:23:52 -0600
Running the tubes with only filament on for at least 30 minutes before
applying HV is a good practice. Longer is certainly more conservative
but more than 24 hours is not needed. After a few hours they should take HV fine if they have good vacuum, but reduce the HV if you can and slowly bring them up to full voltage, no plate current at this time. If Alpha doesn't allow reduction of voltage, even CW mode, then don't worry about it, but keep bias up so that no plate current is drawn. Like in cutoff if you can, as in class C - CW mode. If they hold for 10 minutes of HV or so, they are likely going to be fine. When you start dissipating power in the plate in linear operation, some heating occurs which will drive out occluded gas from the materials. You might get a flash, and that is where your series resistor to the plate supply helps out by limiting current in the arc.

In bigger tubes (triodes and tetrodes) that require a crane to install, I do this very practice and have had few arcs or gas bursts in many tubes. We bring up the RF power very carefully while watching for arcs or gas bursts on tubes with ion pumps mounted on them. Modern pyrolytic graphite grid tubes have very little activity if any at all, as they are processed at higher temperatures at the factory than wire grids. The addition of an active crowbar circuit that will prevent a 30 AWG wire of 20-30 cm length from vaporizing, when shorted across the power supply, is insurance that we won't ruin a tube in a self arc.

I think you will be fine just being cautious and lighting up the filaments overnight first.
73
John
K5PRO

Message: 3