Re: [Amps] Measuring tank coil inductance

To: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring tank coil inductance
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:29:02 -0700
Thanks to everyone for your answers. Here is what I decided to do:

I made a temporary hookup which includes the tube, the plate choke, the bandswitch and the pi-net components. I intend to set up the tank as follows:

1. Preliminary tap positions will be determined by setting a GDO to the operating frequency, paralleling a variable capacitor with the coil and adjusting it for a dip on the GDO. Then I will measure the capacitor with the AADE LC meter and compute the effective inductance of the coil.

2. Final adjustment will be made by putting a resistor equal to the tube load impedance (determined from the load line) from the plate to ground, setting the capacitors to calculated values (using the AADE again), and measuring the SWR from the output with the MFJ antenna analyzer.

I am using the GM3SEK spreadsheet to determine the LC values. I have a simple application on my iPhone called "E-Formulas" which quickly solves the equation for resonance for l, c, or f.

One interesting thing that I noticed: the spreadsheet says that you can determine the tube load impedance by the formula Rl = Ep/(Ip*k) where k is 1.5 - 1.7 for class AB. Using the load line for the AB1 4CX1000A at 3.2 kV and 800 mA came out to 1815 ohms, which corresponds to a k of about 2.2.