[Amps] Non-vacuum capacitor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Non-vacuum capacitor
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 09:43:51 +0100
Preparing for an SK sale, I found a 2000pF vacuum capacitor rated at 8kV
which has a  small star crack going through the glass, so it isn't a
vacuum cap any more.

However, on the hi-pot tester it is still good to 3kV DC. Applying the
usual factor of 0.707 for peak voltage, and then downrating by a further
factor of 2(??) to allow for the difference between RF and DC, it seems
like this capacitor should still be able to handle about 1kV RMS at RF.

In spite of the air leak, I'm thinking it should be OK to offer it for
sale as a pi-network output capacitor suitable for any amateur power
level.

Anything wrong with that reasoning?

73 from Ian GM3SEK