Re: [Amps] chassis maker?

To: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>, "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] chassis maker?
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 10:27:00 +0200
One alternative to a shear is to use two steel angles clamped with the sheet
metal between the angles, and then saw so you get a straight line. Then draw
file for a good finish. Messy, time consuming, but an alternative to a shear.
Same technique works instead of a brake for bending - you just need to cut the
lengths to the inside dimensions of the box.

If you can get a shear and have room for it, that's far easier. I could do with
a better brake (we call them 'benders') but my shear (a 'guillotine' in the UK)
is fine - it takes 39 inch wide sheet up to 1/16 inch thick steel. Was about
$300 new.

You can use the lathe for some milling operations, but a proper mill is very
useful - it makes a very good precision drill, too.

As Colin says, always clamp things well. Worth always using eye protection,
too. Some years back, drilling thick copper (an awful material to drill and
tap!)I had a 1/8 inch drill bind and snap and a bit took a  chip out of my
safety glasses......

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: May 04 2013, 09:00 PM