Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem - Common Impedance Coupling

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem - Common Impedance Coupling
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 12:54:19 -0700 (PDT)
I think that a technically correct generic name for the 'Pin 1 Problem' would
be unwanted 'Common Impedance Coupling', and a bit of a search shows that this
term has been quite frequently used.

Of course, there are any number of ways in which equipment can be designed
wrongly, and there are several other ways in which unwanted signals can be
introduced. This is just one of them.

It is clear that Muncie was the first, in 1995, to describe the problem as
related to audio equipment using XLR connectors. However, knowledge of correct
design goes back many decades before that in several related disciplines.

I am sure there were numerous other companies, but to my knowledge, Leak
manufactured properly engineered professional audio equipment in the 1940s.

73 Roger
VE3ZI