Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem - Common Impedance Coupling

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem - Common Impedance Coupling
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 17:12:17 -0600
Jim,
I think your writeup is excellent. The only point I would disagree with you
about is your assertion that "ground loop" refers only to magnetic coupling.
This is just a matter of nomenclature, of course, which can mean different
things to different people, but to me the phrase includes any situation
where current can flow between different pieces of  equipment because of a
difference in AC (or DC) potential. This can happen when there are two or
more ground paths connecting the equipment.

The situation certainly includes magnetic induction, but can also be caused
by other things. The most extreme example for hams probably is caused by not
using a single point ground for their station equipment. If lightning
strikes their tower, then destructive currents can flow along the coax
shield from their antenna, to their $5000 transceiver, into the green wire
on their power cord and to their service entrance ground. A single point
ground, by contrast does not have this problem, since there is no path for
the return current. The entire station just rides up to high voltage during
the strike, but no damage is done.(That's the theory, anyway. When hundreds
of KV are involved, all bets are off!)
Jim W8ZR