Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 21:09:10 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 00:44:46 +0000, Manfred wrote:

>The
>same applies to Bill's battery/inverter solution - it's safe to power
>the amp from teh battery/inverter, but NOT the scope!

REPLY:

Once again, we disagree.

Think about it:  With a battery powered scope and using the dual probe ADD +
INVERT mode, the only connection between the HV and the scope chassis is
through the two high impedance probes. Remember, the scope chassis isn't
connected to anything.

I just went out to the shack and measured my Tek 10x probes. They are 9 megs
from tip to center conductor of the BNC. As I recall the resistor is
paralleled by a few pF. Wouldn't hurt a fly at 60 Hz.

Or you could get a 40 MHz Fluke ScopeMeter for several thousand dollars.
That works too.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT