Re: [Amps] GS23B Plate load resistance for HF

To: dave@n8zfm.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS23B Plate load resistance for HF
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:17:58 -0400 (EDT)
David, at the risk of over simplifying a complex issue, some  thoughts:

With a low loss matching network, the tube efficiency is primarily related
to the class of operation. Class C can be 75%, class A might be 30%. As the
 class of operation moves toward class C, the efficiency improves. The zero
drive  idle current decreases as this happens and the linearity gets worse
and  worse.

So, you can decide how much non-linearity is acceptable for the improved
efficiency.

I have built a 70cm power amplifier using the GS23B (aka 4CX1600U) and it
measured greater than 60% efficiency running class AB2. To achieve that
level of  efficiency required driving the tube as hard as the grid and screen
dissipation  specifications allowed. The harder the tube was run, the better
the power output  and efficiency.

As the bias is increased to lower the idle current, the class of operation
moves toward class C. The associated K factor moves away from 1.5 toward
and  beyond 1.8. I forget the class C k factor but it is greater than 2.0 as I
 recall.

Hope this makes sense.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/28/2013 10:59:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,