Re: [Amps] GS23B Plate load resistance for HF

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS23B Plate load resistance for HF
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:07:07 -0500
What BDV does the GS35b typically show on "good" tubes?

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Bill Turner
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:14 AM
To: Amps

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:02:26 -0000, GM3SEK wrote:

There is a major difference between the Western high-mu triodes and the
Russian family of low-mu triodes.  High-mu triodes like the 8877 are
designed to deliver good gain and efficiency at relatively low anode
voltages, but the GS35b requires much higher voltages. Performance at
anything below 3.0kV is sure to be disappointing, and the best overall
performance is generally obtained at about 3.5kV on load, rising closer
to 4.0kV off-load. Some specimens will tolerate higher voltages but with
a rapidly increasing risk of arcing.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

REPLY:

That's good to know Ian, but the spec sheet I have says the max DC is 3kV
and the max instantaneous peak is 6kV. I'm sure those values can be exceeded
a certain amount but one would be getting into risky territory. On the other
hand, the tubes are so cheap it might be worth the risk.  I know some folks
are running them at 4kV with no apparent problems.

Thanks for the info.

73, Bill W6WRT